Coconut Grove, FL
The Coconut Grove Playhouse opened in 1927, originally as a movie theater, operated by Paramount Enterprises and in 1950, was converted to a venue for live performances. Built in the Mediterranean Revival style, the Playhouse was designated as a historic site in 2004 as it embodies an architectural style reflective of south Florida.
The project’s initial phase involved the forensic analysis of the existing historical structure; master planning the site to accommodate a new 300-seat theater, a 600-seat theater and a parking garage with retail space; and design for new back of house spaces that support modern day performances. After careful consideration, the scope was reduced and the 600-seat theater eliminated.
The new 300 seat theater will be a state of the art production house with full fly tower. Significant historic artifacts, such as the original proscenium arch, have been incorporated into the design while technology and lighting systems have been provided that will enhance production value.
CLIENT: Miami-Dade County Dept. of Cultural Affairs
SIZE: 20,000 square feet
COST: $16.8 million